Chrome Chariot

Tell us the story of your project: 

I have a literal 5-gallon bucket of hotwheels (and similar products) from when I was young. They are in a terrible state, covered in mud and rust, and have been stepped on (they were outside for maybe a year or so after cleaning them and then forgetting them). I honestly don't know why we didn't throw them away at the time, but instead they just sat in our basement for ~10 years. Then I found gaslands (thanks to Make in fact!) and I was immediately hooked, I love the carnage, the mad max aesthetic, and the fast and simple rules... but more then anything I love that the models for the game are basically free (or very low cost) compared to other games (cough WH40k cough), so its entirely possible to build a quite large team for the same cost as getting a single unit in other table-top wargames.

This is the third car I've modeled for gaslands, with a buzzard being the second and a jeep with a harpoon gun being the first. You can see some more detailed pictures of those on my tumblr, as well as a more in-depth tutorial on this one! Jeep and Buzzard and Chrome Chariot

That is the team as of now, let me know what you think, and please vote!

 

How-to: 

As for the build, the base is a gen 2 camero, circa 1971. I don't believe it is an actual hotwheels product (sorry mattel), but its in the same vein. It was covered in a green enamel (or w/e they use), which I used acetone to remove (after removing the body from the plastic, I know some of the plastics they use melt in acetone).

I then drybrusehd the aluminium body (polished with steel wool) with a heavy layer of dark silver, a slightly ligher layer of medium silver, and a very light layer of light silver (all of which is practically invisible). Then I did a dark wash in some ciritcal areas (rear of car, vents on hood, grill/ headlights), and drybrushed on some dust effect (very white beige color) along with drybrushing on some rust.

Painted in some details (headlights and dashboard) and that was basically it for the body.  For the engine I used an engine block I took off another broken hotwheels car, and glued it to the hood after painting it SHINY AND CHROME with a heavy dark wash and a light drybrush of dust.

At the same time, I removed the rear wheels from the under chassie and added some wheels that came off yet another hotwheels car... sadly they don't rotate, but for the purposes of the game they don't really need to (though it does help when determining collisions)

I also added tailpipes which are just nails I bent in a vice. On the rear I added some caltrop droppers (see the razor cola from Mad Max Fury Road), which are made from the grill of yet another car and for the caltrop strips I used fruit bag mesh stuff cut along a diagonal (a technique I learned from lindy beige).

Adding a NOS/ oil dropper, which came from this knock-off lego set a friend I play gaslands with bought.

Finally, after removing the rear window I added a small roll bar/ handlebar/ w/e you want to call it out the back with some wire.

Difficulty: 
Duration: 
Collaborators: 
afoxofalltrades
Number of Forks: 
0
Tools: 
Name: 
Files
Quantity: 
1
Name: 
Paint
Quantity: 
1
Name: 
Steel wool
Quantity: 
1
Name: 
Paint brush
Quantity: 
1
Name: 
Super glue
Quantity: 
1
Name: 
Hack saw
Quantity: 
1
Name: 
Wire cutters
Quantity: 
1
Name: 
Pliers
Quantity: 
1
Materials: 
Name: 
wire
Quantity or amount: 
1
Name: 
Lots of little bits
Quantity or amount: 
1
Name: 
Nails
Quantity or amount: 
1
Name: 
Hot wheels cars
Quantity or amount: 
1
Team Members: 
Team member name: 
afoxofalltrades
What role did this person play on the project?: 
Project Lead
Public
Sort Order: 
0
Teaser: 
A mad max-esque modification of a gen 2 Camaro, inspired by the razor cola from Mad Max Fury Road. Designed for the Gaslands tabletop war-game,
Aha! moment: 
Drybrushing: learn it, use it. I literally never drybrushed before this project, I learned it in... maybe an hour or so, and I really think its what made the project... though drybrushing silver paint on a polished Al body is... hard, but the dust comes out well
Uh-oh! moment: 
Stop dropping it: I don't know why, but I dropped this thing maybe... 7 times during the course of the build, each time sent almost every component rocketing in different directions... it could be sitting flat on the middle of my table, and the next it'd be halfway across the room
Show & Tell video as default: 
Creation Date: 
Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 22:23